Septic Tanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
marlyn
Junior user
Junior user

Septic Tanks - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All would a budget cost for a concrete septic tank please to include digging, making, and finishing. size 6 cubic m or about that will do, this is for my renovation budget that i need to do before i ask builders for quotes, thanks in advance

Mark
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:48 am

Its a good point Jack but surely as time passes there will be some sort of government inspections and if your not up to standard then perhaps they will enforce it? so its better if you can to get it done as soon as possible? well this is my thought anyway.
Back to top Go down
JACK SPARROW
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 am

Lisa if you can afford it and prefer the costly new EU reg septics,then why not....but as for Bulgaria and Bulgarians,the new septic tanks cost more than thier house or vehicle,and i cant see them getting them,unless of course theres huge grants available or thier FREE.
Perhaps an 'akward official' being a pain,might say to a Brit,or richer incomer,that they must have a new fandangled poo holder,compared to the rest of the villagers.'hole in the garden' /bar/resturuant.Especially if its a new build (then yes ) but if its an old house or you've owned it for a number of years.....
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 3:45 pm

I think in some ways your right Jack but I also see what Lisa is saying, its more scare tactics than anything else and lets face even in the UK they still use a hole in the ground and a soak-away so if its good enough for the UK and then is good enough anywhere some would say Septic Tanks - Page 4 739492727
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 pm

You know what? I'm going to upset a few folks here BUT.... How on earth has the human race survived without 'health and safety?' ... and, yes. - how on earth are village Bulgarians (and impoverished Brits) going to afford all the EU specifications? Come on..... get a life. None of us can live forever, and before anyone tells me that we all have to worry about the ecology - well ... when half the world is starving my vote goes to making sure people HAVE food never mind where the waste goes.
Before anyone asks if I am having a bad day - no I'm not. I'm actually extremely happy in my new home which was built sometime in the 1800s. What's good enough for the Bulgarians is good enough for me. s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Our builder has scoured the entire length and breadth of our garden, albeit a bit on the large size and has not found a septic tank anywhere. I had thought of suggesting a water diviner but decided against it. In the absence of any septic tank one is being built as I speak, this will be a septic tank at the top and a soakaway at the bottom, don't know what size it will be, but hoping that I never fall through the inspection cover. Graphic details of how this marvellous invention works is not for the faint hearted and no graphic mention will be made on this post, suffice it say that after using the toilet in the house, we won't have to worry about anything rising up like a geezer in the middle of the lounge and spraying unmentionables all over the walls and furniture. Whatever has been flushed down the loo will exit the property and flow with ease (we hope) to this clever septic tank sunk in the middle of the garden.

Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I think that most village loos were built outside and well away from the house because waste in the 'hole in the ground' eventually found its way into the land which often had a ditch dug away from it to land exitting the property as was ours, so it never really filled up. I can't imagine that s....lorries ever came to empty them. After all, isn't manure that gets put on gardens, effluent albeit from animals? Too much information here so I will close! We now have indoor toilets which actually empty into a double tank system and we never put paper etc down it because it will probably cause a blockage and the umentionables will then come up in the house as Itchyfeet said. We had this problem when some guests stayed and the result was horrendous! Maybe the pipes in new renovations will be bigger but I will never trust it after that winter. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JACK SPARROW
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Our ' wonderfull ' toilet in the garden (Bulgarian) is built on a stone foundation about 2' off the ground,then kerpitch walls,at the side of the stone wall,which holds the crud is a small hatchway/opening which has a steel sheet as a door,i guess this was to get the shovel in,when it filled to much ????and yes no problem putting it on the garden as long as its well rotted,doesn't smell and looks more like earth.
As i'm a spoilt Brit,i have taken the trouble and expence to lay pipe from ' indoors' (where a 'proper'toilet now sits)down in a trench to the huge cesspit i built (shhh dont tell no one,it was here ,when i came) its 10' long,6' deep and 8' wide,should accomodate my doings,oh and i made two chambers,thinking that the sludge ? would stay and break down in one and the liquid,drain more freely into other,then slowly seap out into the ' huge ' garden 6' deep or deeper,the closest house is at least 100metres away and 'up' from my cesspit which is 'down' the garden.
I was going to build a swimming pool next to it,but on second thoughts .....lol
To be honest (my thoughts ) i'm not pumping tonnes of efluent into the surrounding area,between us,about 4 poops a day,then you have the many ltrs of fresh water mixed with it,which helps to dilute and break it down before it enters the cesspit,then nature takes its course,bacteria gets to work on it,before it eventually leaches into the sub soil 6' to 10' down,and as 'water' finds its way...deeper,unless a huge flood ,then i think it safe,of course this wouldn't work in a city or town,hence mains,where ever that gets pumped too,i have heard that your expensive 'emptying of your EU tank',by the man that charges,gets dumped either at the 'refuse dump' or on farmers fields.....
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 am

Septic Tanks - Page 4 3356871870 :Thank you:Brilliant answer Mr Sparrow. My thoughts and experiences entirely. All waste has to go somewhere and unless or until Bulgaria has purification systems in place, the s.... lorries must have to dump (??) somewhere. Best kept on private land as long as it doesn't effect neighbours or cause a smell. I have photos of our system in the garden which sounds much like Mr Sparrows and a hatch to check for any problems. I''m afraid that, once again, I have to say that if primitive methods offend sensibilities then maybe Bulgaria isn't for you. It will be years until things change here in some areas. Where is the money coming from when a high percentage of Bulgarians are below the poverty line?

I also think that occasionally, posts tend to confuse issues rather than help.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:44 am

Well, it is either that we have a Septic Tank that meets or doesn't meet EU regulations, or out to the potting shed in the garden when the urge grabs us regardless of whether it's covered in a metre of snow. A potting shed was a all that our house offered when we first looked at it and to keep one's private functions to oneself a very thin layer of currugated iron surrounded it!! I remember my granddad's house having a toilet in the garden when I was young and the toilet paper was a copy of the News of the World torn into neat squares and pinned on a nail on the back of the door! Happy Days!?!?!

Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Great topic people keep it going this is the sort of thing I like to read IE the old way V the new way.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:30 am

s

Oh itchy what are we going to do with you Septic Tanks - Page 4 2345823347

I am not sure what we got in our garden never look in that area. There is a manhole you open and climb down but that is as far as I know, guess we need to check it sometime eh! to see if it is a cesspit or a septic tank. Oh bother, do they have to be emptied? and if so how often
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 am

oddball wrote:

I am not sure what we got in our garden never look in that area. There is a manhole you open and climb down but that is as far as I know, guess we need to check it sometime eh! to see if it is a cesspit or a septic tank. Oh bother, do they have to be emptied? and if so how often

Well Oddy a dip stick would be handy before you descend into the abyss, you never know what may be lurking in there. Of course once you are up to your neck height you may have a stronger clue!!

Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 2:39 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
oddball wrote:

Well Oddy a dip stick would be handy before you descend into the abyss, you never know what may be lurking in there. Of course once you are up to your neck height you may have a stronger clue!!

Septic Tanks - Page 4 2381841692 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797 Septic Tanks - Page 4 1865348797

Not blooming likely mate. :Septic Tanks - Page 4 3897195628:
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Not much wrong with a septic tank, you just might have to have it emptied every 5 yrs or so....use proper septic tank chemicals to keep it working good....laundry soap and bleach are bad things to put into the septic, they kill off the things inside the tank that keeps it working so you might want a separate line from the laundry room and bypass the septic and go straight to a leaching field if possible. If you have a septic tank then make a map of where the lids are ( how far from house ect...) hard to find once covered up with dirt....be sure there are clean out pipes on each end of the tank.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Noddy wrote:
Not much wrong with a septic tank, you just might have to have it emptied every 5 yrs or so....use proper septic tank chemicals to keep it working good....laundry soap and bleach are bad things to put into the septic, they kill off the things inside the tank that keeps it working so you might want a separate line from the laundry room and bypass the septic and go straight to a leaching field if possible. If you have a septic tank then make a map of where the lids are ( how far from house ect...) hard to find once covered up with dirt....be sure there are clean out pipes on each end of the tank.

Very helpful - many thanks Noddy

c c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Septic Tanks   Septic Tanks - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Septic Tanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next