altText
altText

Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chris

Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Empty
PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whilst this may not be typical Bulgarian, I made a batch of this a few weeks ago ... bought a goodly sized chunk of pork liver, grabbed the rest of the veg off market and whipped up this casserole. This recipe is enough for about 10-12 portions and it works out at less than a lev a portion. Can be frozen and reheated. In fact, was so good, I'm making it again today!

Ingredients:

1kg Pigs Liver
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil (or vegetable)
Butter
Bacon (the unsliced stuff you can get in the Bulgarian shops)
2 large onions
4 large carrots
Beef Stock
Red Wine
Garlic
Bay Leaf

Method

Slice the liver and roll in seasoned flour until coated.

Chop onions and carrots. Slice bacon into 'lardon' size (about the size of a cigarette end!)

In a casserole dish heat some olive oil and a knob of butter. Fry the bacon for five minutes, then remove and set aside.

In the remaining fat, fry the onions and carrots until softened. Remove and set aside.

In the remaining fat, brown the liver on all sides and then set aside.

Deglaze the casserole dish with a good size mug of red wine (give it a good scraping with a wooden spoon) until the red wine starts to thicken.

Return all the ingredients to the casserole and pour in the beef stock (should be just about enough to cover the liver).

Throw in the bay leaf, throw in some crushed garlic, cover and bake in a low oven for around 2 hours.

Serve with a mountain of creamy mashed potatoes!

The other portions can be frozen and gently reheated at a later date.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:47 am

Chris I'm sat here at my desk with a crumpled up sandwich and now I'm starving looking at this :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 am

Sarah wrote:
Chris I'm sat here at my desk with a crumpled up sandwich and now I'm starving looking at this :lol: :lol:

Even worse here, it's already been in the oven for half an hour, the smell is absolutely amazing, and it's another hour and ten until lunch :shock:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Come on your not being fair :lol:I am at work now starving hungry after seeing this :P I will have to stop looking whilwe working thats maybe the answer? I should think its ready now :lol:save me some Sinning
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 3:14 pm

scott wrote:
I should think its ready now :lol:save me some Sinning

Too late Scott [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Eaten, 6 portions already frozen, casserole dish in the dishwasher, me extremely full ... it was absolutely fabulous! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anonymous
Anonymous

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm

ChrisQBG wrote:
scott wrote:
I should think its ready now :lol:save me some Sinning

Too late Scott [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Eaten, 6 portions already frozen, casserole dish in the dishwasher, me extremely full ... it was absolutely fabulous! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

:Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Love the sound of this , But cut it up to the size of a fag end dont sound right . Will still try it , thanks John
Back to top Go down
Cumbrian
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Looks a bit like my tatiepot, except use lamb target, (belly, breast or whatever you call it) and any veg I happen to have, with oxo stock. Potatoes sliced and layered on top.

I know the purists will say should have black pudding, but some of the factory-produced stuff they sell now isn't worth using. A butcher told me the EEC regulations now prevents its manufacture except under clinically controlled factory conditions, designed to remove all taste and individuality from the finished black pudding. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole   Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Liver, Bacon and Onion Casserole

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1