altText
altText

Pig Killing in the Villages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Pig Killing in the Villages Empty
PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am

I thought I would add this so show the way in which some of the pigs in Bulgaria are killed

If you've thinking of moving to a village in Bulgaria, some things may be a bit of a shock to your system. Houses with roofs on the verge of collapse, ancient women using homemade hoes on acres of land and many dogs on short chains with no water in sight are just a few examples. In the UK, buildings would be condemned, social services would be called and the Animal Protection Service would come running, yet all these things are normal here;
local folk don't even bat an eye ? this is the Bulgarian culture and who are we to object?

After a while you get used to these things and may even start to think that the UK has got it wrong? So imagine then that you're feeling happy about your new integration into another culture and are walking happily down the village lane one December morning, when you notice a gathering of villagers? You're beckoned over by your neighbor, so you approach the merrymakers and see a table full with nibbles and drinks. Then you realise what all the fuss is about. Laid out in all its gutless glory is a very large pig, with blood draining into the road, and its dead eyes staring, again this is all part of the Bulgarian culture and this is what makes Bulgaria differant.

A pig-slaughtering party is an age-old festivity in Bulgaria. Villagers invite their neighbors, family and friends to enjoy the festivities and share the meat. It is an important ritual giving hope and happiness in the cold winter period, if you are invited to a pig-killing party, which is very normal, you may feel a little scared;
In Britain the slaughter of animals is banned. However, not so many years ago it was a normal site in the countryside of the uk to raise your own cattle to eat as it was to make your own jams these days, you will only see chicken, lamb and beef in cling-film packaging at the supermarkets. Although the thought is shocking at first some Bulgarians even find it the actual slaughter is very uplifting, although not for those with weak stomachs. On the pig's last morning everyone arrives at the house and have a toast to the pig with warm rakiya, There is always a large amount of snacks, fizzy drinks and lots of red wine. The pig is brought out and given some food for distraction, then it is killed with a single pierce on the neck, if the butcher is skilful. If he isn't, he may have to use an axe, or even a bullet. Horror stories of half-killed pigs going into a blood-soaked frenzy and running yards are instances that are common. Once the pig is killed the throat is then cut, which drains any remaining life from it. The coarse hair is scorched from the skin with a blow torch giving off a peculiar smell. If you are a vegetarian or simply want to avoid this part of village life, this distinct smell will prevent you from stumbling across a pig killing party. The pig is then turned onto its back and is sliced from the throat down the belly to the tail. Then it is cleaned and washed in boiling water. The skin and fat are removed and raw chunks of the fat are salted for The Guests. The entrails are then removed and sorted, and then the rest of the pig is butchered into the different cuts, with nothing being wasted in the process.

Traditional food such as sausage, sarmi, or stuffed cabbage leaves, and of course pork, will be served later in the day. The pig parties will often carry on late into the night with rakiya being drunk by all.

So to the questions: if you are a meat eater, should you be able to kill the animal? You intend to eat? How would you react to an invitation to join in the fun? or even to kill the pig yourself? An invite such as this is extended with respect to expats who move to Bulgarian villages.

For now,most Bulgarians hope for the sake of the self sufficient villagers that this particular tradition remains, and that families can continue to provide for themselves during Bulgaria's bitter and harsh winters, so enjoy it while you can because one day it will all have to stop and Bulgaria will be another UK
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:21 pm

I have been invited to such slaughterings and have always politely declined. As I have collected 6 Bulgarian dogs and keep rabbits as pets, not for eating, the villagers have become used to my strange ways and do not take offence. In fact I think they would be truly amazed if I accepted.

My Bulgarian friends know, that although a meat eater, I draw the line at eating an animal that I have befriended in their garden. It is a step too far for me and they accept that I am not the same as they, even though my grandma used to keep a pig which was slaughtered at the end of the. However a bullet is quicker, kinder and children were kept out of the way, so no bad memories of that.

My view is that I live in Bulgaria, I love Bulgaria, but I am not Bulgarian and although I can cook their foods and observe some of their traditions, it is my choice to decline those which I find offensive or distressing, the same as Bulgarians could if they lived in my country.

The choices are ours to make and those who are truly your friends should be able to understand this ...viva les differences I say.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:23 pm

If you want to live in Bulgaria you will have to accept many differences. I am sorry, but although I find killing of animals difficult to come to terms with
it is something that has to be accepted if you eat meat. There is no easy way. Animals are bred to feed us. No way is easy to see them killed. Abattoirs in UK are still killing what you eat although you do not see it happening.
If you come to Bulgaria please leave all your so-called 'humane' ways behind you. It is for the Bulgarians to change their ways if they see fit and you have no right whatsoever to inflict your opinions onto them. Sorry, but this is just the way I feel about these things.
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:33 am

I understand that perfectly and I believe in live and let live, but that applies to me also.

I have humane views, do not try to impose them on other people and do not expect their inhumane ways to be imposed on me.

I don't believe you have to leave you principles behind when you emigrate, just keep them to yourself ...unless you happen to be speaking on a forum of course.

I am trying to set some examples without actually saying anything at all and it is surprising how many previously tethered dogs in this village now run free in their gardens and a few even taken for a walk.

It does work just takes some tact and patience
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Hello folks I am sorry if any of you have found this offensive? it wasn't intended that way all I was trying to show is the culture of Bulagaria which I am very fond of in some ways ? I'm not saying that all that goes on there I agree with or that we as guests to their beutiful country should have to live as they do but just to show some of their culture? my origins are from Bangladesh and I have seen much worse than this but I accept it as being a part of their culture, after all who are we to tell anyone what is right and what is wrong but as said above we can choose to take part or avoid it so please don't think I made this post to say this is how you shoulds live because it isn't it's just an insight to the real life of a Bulgarian and as already said above VIVA les differences !! :lol: :lol: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Thankyou for the explanation, although personally I found the photos to be gruesome and quite awful.

I also agree with some of what you say, but my question is..... how did civilisaton ever come about if no-one ever stood up and said hey folks there is a better way to do this?
After all we used to operate on people without anaesthetic at one time, just a slug of whisky if you were lucky and strong arms to hold you down. But we know know already this is not the right way to do things and unecessary suffering can never be justified to either human or animal when there is a more humane way of doing things.

Culture and people's rights are one thing, but education is another and this is how we progress into a more civilised society.

Anyway enough said, each to their own opinion.
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Well said anglachanka and I guess I was a little insensitive to other peoples view over this so I am going to try and remove the pictures, if you found it disturbing then I am very sorry as this was not intended
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user
Fletch

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 pm

I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you. This is Bulgaria and the killing of the pig is a tradition. We have no right as guests in this country to condem what they do. We chose to live here and so with this we have to take warts and all, you might find it unpleasent but this is village life. Maybe city life would be better for you.
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Although I can see both points of view here I also have to say that when in Rome do as they do, and I know what your all thinking but let us all please respect the culture of these wonderful people and their country.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Hiya meandmine I think what is being said here is although everyone knows what is going on in Bulgaria it doesn't mean that we all have to take part in it I can agree with all that has been said so far by all sides in this issue but to be honest I'm no to sure that I would like to witness the killing of any animal either the way the Bulgarians chose to do it or how it's done in the Uk I know that makes me sound like a hypocrite because I am happy to eat meat but I'm not comfortable with taking a life ? sounds stupid I know because symbolically I also have the blood on my hands, so I think this is a difficult one to agree on with so many of us having such diverse views.

ATB :[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]: :[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:56 am

Hi I am glad I have read this at least it gives me a little understanding of the Bulgarian way of life and lets be honest it may not be for all of us but would a Bulgarian be happy with the way we live in the uk? I think not so each to their own and if you can join in then why not? but for thiose who can't and I will be one of them well I will mis out on what could be a very interesting part of the Bulgarian history which will be my loss but for those who can cope with it I take my hat off to you :Salute:
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:57 pm

I have to admit that I do not wish to partake in this ceremony. My partner is always asked to help and does so albeit with grave reservations! However, its the rakia party after that he declines!!!! To be asked to 'Killing the Pig' is an honour and should be treated as such. Has anyone thought what the alternative would be? A Bulgarian village family rear a pig for the year to provide all the meat products they will require for the following year from joints to sausages, salami, pig fat ( considered a delicacy) and bottling as a kind of stew. How would they manage if they did not do it themselves? There is no easy way to kill an animal as I previously said and the killing takes a matter of minutes so my partner tells me. Is it any better for animals killed in an abattoir where they see the animals before them going 'over the top' and knowing they are next? My son once worked in a UK abattoir and whilst it may make you happier that killing is done this way I can assure you it is no more humane when the stun gun does not work!
At least the family pig is well looked after for his time with the family. The better the care and feed the better the meat. If you don't like what I am saying then become a vegetarian.
Back to top Go down
baxter
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 2:56 pm

We went to our first day long event last December. I declined the slaughtering bit but husband did attend that. He used to be a butcher many years ago so wasn't disturbed by it. In his view it wasn't any worse (or better) to some he has witnessed in abbatoirs. Not one for the squeamish but if you are a meat eater it's a reality check on how your meat arrives on the table. We both helped with the butchering and more or less every scrap of the pig was used. Those who helped all went away well fed, happy with rakia/wine/beer and carrying parcels of meat. As for the Bulgarian tradition, we found the whole day brilliant and were honoured to be invited.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pig Killing in the Villages   Pig Killing in the Villages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pig Killing in the Villages

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1