A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone

I have started an orphanage appeal to aid the homes in the Plovdiv region. I wanted to start it sometime ago, but I have only been able to a short time ago. Reading about everyone else who has started orphanage appeals in their own areas in Bulgaria has been really inspiring.

It all started after chatting with my mum about some clothes her friends daughter had passed on for Gabbi, but they were too small for her. My mum said she would take them to the local charity shop and I happened to mention how it was a shame we couldn’t give them to an orphanage. Well that was it, she thought it was a great idea and it has took off from there.

I started a Facebook group and within 2 days, had 15 bags of clothes and toys donated! I then created a website which is now up and running.

[url=http:
//abrightstartfororphansbg.
webs.
com:2o86m264][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We visited the local orphanage in Kalofer. A local Peace Corp volunteer, Jo, introduced us to the Director and staff, the meeting was a little sticky at first but they were just concerned about what our intentions were towards the home and children. They gave us a tour of the home, told what they needed most and I hope we hope to provide much of it after our next donations come over in April or May. By the end of the visit the Director and staff were really happy that we wanted to help them.

Yesterday, me and my friend Pauli went to the Baby orphanage in Plovdiv. I have just written about our visit and you can read about it below.

We are initially collecting unwanted clothing, shoes and household items which can be used in the homes and in the future will look at doing some fundraising and we are looking into the process of becoming a registered charity.

We were very kindly offered some space on a van coming to Bulgaria, so we could transport our first load of donations. I really can’t thank Dave Sharp enough for doing this for us, he’s a star!

The appeal is still in the very early stages, but the response I have had from friends, family and people I have never met has been incredible. Over the next year I hope to arrange fund raising days here in Bulgaria and also in the UK.

If anyone would like to donate to our appeal or has ideas about fundraising in our area, please contact me.

Thanks everyone

Charlie
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 7:32 am

First Donations Delivered to Kalofer Orphanage

Myself and Pauli visited Kalofer orphanage to deliver the first donations that were delivered from the UK.

We were met by 2 of the children who proceed to shout for others, I think they saw all the boxes in the car! The security man came out to ask our reasons for being there and then went to fetch a member of staff to help us. Whilst we waited, more children appeared, shaking our hands and asking our names, their faces were a picture when I told them I am was English. The lady who came to greet us, I met on our last visit, very nice and helpful. She remembered our previous visit and asked the children to help us unload, which they didn’t need asking twice to do!

We took all the donations into the office, the children were very well, there was lots of exited chatter and smiles, even more so when the crisps we’d brought were handed out. Then, a young teenage girl looked at me and in perfect English, she said “Do you speak Bulgarian?” I was blown away, I didn’t expect that. So in my best Bulgarian I asked if she spoke English, and she replied, in English, “a little”. We are told that Jo, the Peace Corp volunteer, teaches the children a little English when he comes on one of his regular visits.

We explained to the lady what we had brought, toys, clothes, bedding, curtains, shoes, soap and shampoo, plus others. Pauli also brought more donations she had collected from some of her students and friends. We asked again what they were most in need of at the moment and she said under wear and school things. Last time we visited, top of the list were shoes, but looking at the children, the footwear seemed better, so I suspect that their needs will change at different times of the year, depending on donations they receive. So knickers, underpants, socks and vests are high on their list. She also said they need school things like pens, pads, colouring pencils, erasers, etc.

We then told her that hopefully next week, I will be visiting with an English gentleman who is kindly making a donation, also told her that we have more donations arriving in May, including the t-shirts and clothing from the company in Manchester, also many many donations that have been collected. She was very happy and very grateful.

As we leave, the children say goodbye in both Bulgarian and English and I pass on to all of the generous people who have donated items to our orphanage appeal, the children and staff thank you all so very much.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 am

[size=200:2adtk9ia]Fantastic

Well done Charlie and everyone involved you all did wonderful

lets hope there is the first of many

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:43 am

This is great news Charliechech and well done to all concerned lets hope as oddball has sais this is the first of many
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 11:11 am

Bravo!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Me and Chech met with a Scottish gentleman today who has kindly donated some items for both Kalofer and Plovdiv orphanages. Unfortunately, he was unable to come to the orphanage today so me and Chech delivered the items on his behalf.

This would be the first time I have visited the home during the week when all the children would be present. So many new faces! And of course some familiar ones whose faces lit up and gave us a big wave. Fabulous!

This time, we met with Madam Mustovova again, who met with us on our first visit, plus a gentleman who is temporarily in charge of the home, Mr. Dimitar Katsev, who is also a teacher. Chech explained to him why we were there, what we were doing to help the home and to show him the latest donations for the children and the home.

We have just delivered, all from our kind Scottish gentleman and his family, a new TV, a DVD surround sound system, some sports equipment, colouring pencils and pads, 40 toothbrushes, 2 gorgeous dolls and some hair accessories which the girls are going to love! I also took on this delivery an electronic dance mat which was donated by a family in Hyde, as this can now be used with the new TV.

We told Mr Katsev that when we visited on Saturday, the lady who met with us said they were desperate for under wear. He said they needed underwear, shoes, as before, also other sports equipment. Even second hand bicycles would be fabulous.

We were also able to see the play rooms. These rooms are kept locked unless used, as a member of staff has to supervise the children in these rooms. We were shown 3, one for the younger children, the other for the older children and also a joint room where they will put the TV and DVD player. The play rooms need so much work, new flooring would be great and the walls need plastering and painting. This is something we could arrange once we start to raise some money. This is also the case for the play room at the Plovdiv baby orphanage.

They want to make the younger children’s room fun, maybe with a disco ball, stereo so they can dance, toys and activity games. At the moment, they have a football table and small trampoline. The older children’s room has a very old table tennis table and some fitness machines. I was told on our first visit to Kalofer, that they needed paddles and ping pong balls for the table tennis, but I see now they also need a new table. There is plenty of room for a pool or snooker table too. Mr Katsev said the younger and older boys would like a punch ball set on a stand. The older boys have some mattresses on the floor where they wrestle. You can see from the photos that they are quite big rooms and have almost nothing in them.

The 3rd joint room is more of a study area, the municipality had donated some mechano type construction sets, they had a few jigsaws and many books. It is a cozy room, but still needs some work. This room will be the new place for the TV and DVD player as all the children can sit and watch if they like.

The more I visit the home, the more I see things that they need and ways in which we can help. Our next delivery is hopefully coming in May, so if you think you can help and donate, please contact me and I can send you more details.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:57 pm

[size=200:pw23s3h2]F A N T A S T I C !!!!

Well done what a lovely Scottish family Delighted for you Charlie brilliant work

Oddy
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks Oddy T

had an email off my mum. She's collected some 115 plus items from Joe Bloggs in Manchester!!!Fantastic!!! And also Carpet Factory Shop in Rochdale are donating some carpet roll ends and rugs!!! These will go down great at Plovdiv as the babies have very little carpet/rugs to learn to crawl on or even try to stand and walk. Hopefully, these will make it that little bit safer. I am hoping there will be enough for the children at Kalofer, nothing better than stepping out of bed onto warm carpet :Sunny:Hopefully we will be able to get everything over in May.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 pm

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1763269238 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1763269238

Hi Charlie H

That is just fantastic news A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 Well done you truly delighted for you A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1536469901 Keep at it as it can only get better g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 pm

This is fantastic news A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1995268642
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 am

More great new lets hope it continues this way A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290 A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 2706089290
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:17 am

Great news and good luck to all of you that are involved your all doing a great job A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

A2BG Couriers are collecting some of our donations next week, can't wait!!!! A big thank you to Richard and Teodora and also to my mum as I couldn't do any of this without her H H H H H

Later in May, hopefully Richard will collect our donations of carpets and rugs and other things we can't get on this load.

Hopefully, May will be a great month!!! s s s s s s s
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 am

Hi everyone

I need your help and suggestions please.

We have a load of items in Provadia region for delivery to me, so we can sort out and deliver to the orphanages. I can find out how much there is, but does anyone know a gerneous person/company who would be able to transport the items over??

Any ideas?

Thanks xx
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 6:40 pm

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 1763269238

Hi Charlie

I have sent a few email to people who may be in Bulgaria, it will depend if they are in Bulgaria over the next month or so. I will let you know.

I am sure if there is anyone on here, who could help out they would not hesitate to check with friends and family too. So lets keep our fingers crossed and see if anyone will come forward for you.

You do need to specify where you are and where Provadia region is this would help. thanks

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Charliechech
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 am

Hi all

It's me, name change as couldn't log in!!!!!! A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 794030042

We have just had the first of 2 loads delivered to us by Richard and Tedi of A2BG Couriers. A huge thank you to you both. They also donated many items needed by both Kalofer and Plovdiv, including toys, towels and office supplies. So many things have come through, clothes, toys, toiletries (so many, fantastic!), plates and cups, pans, baby walker, books, pens, felt tips, pads, crayons, ooh so many things.
A fantastic donation came from Joe Bloggs clothing in Manchester who have donated almost 100 tshirts. They also donated other tiems which will arrive on the next load including hats and belts. s
A big thanks again to my mum, sis, Aunt and cousins who helped sort and pack everything ready for delivery, couldn't do it without them xxxxxx H H H
I will post an update when we deliver the items. s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria   A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Bright Start for orphans in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next