View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Empty
PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

[size=75:2yrg30i8]Sofia echo 03 March 2010

Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes

Bulgarian streets are infamous for their dilapidated state – they not only damage vehicles, but they also cause accidents as people try to dodge them, on occasion swerving into the oncoming lane, causing collisions, serious injury and even deaths. The people of Varna, however, have had enough.

Varna is up in arms, with citizens demanding that they meet mayor Kiril Yordanov on March 3, Bulgarian National (BNT) Television reported.

The Varna Prosecution Office has launched a comprehensive investigation to check on the state of roads and streets, prompted by the dire straits of the road network in Varna and the widespread discontent that this has caused.

According to Vyara Alexieva, spokesperson for the Varna Prosecution Office, the investigation in Varna is a part of a widespread operation across Bulgaria ordered by the Supreme Administrative Prosecution Office and covering the last six months of 2008 and the whole year 2009.

Bulgarian-language mass-circulation daily 24 Chassa said on March 3 2010 that the results of the operation will be made available by May 10 2010. The potholes in Varna triggered a wave of public protests some weeks ago, prompting Yordanov to dismiss Rositsa Kirova from the her post at the municipality's investment policy department.

The situation in Sofia is similarly dire. Never mind small inner-borough streets that are virtually impassable, the pavements for pedestrians are in even worse condition.

Major boulevards in Sofia, like Tsar Boris III, in places resemble a war zone, with craters enough to cause serious damage to a vehicle, an accident and serious injury.

Sections of the Sofia Ring Road are also in extremely poor condition. Even elite boroughs, like Sofia's Lozenets, near the Fourth Police Station feature streets covered in holes. Residents of Sofia's borough of Lagera say that the municipality installed brand new traffic signs last year on all inner streets, but the streets themselves resemble a lunar surface.

"
We have new traffic signs now, but we don't have any streets,"
residents told The Sofia Echo.

The problems are not limited to Lozenets and Lagera. This is the reality in every corner of Sofia, every city, town and village of Bulgaria.

And while the municipality spent money in the summer of 2009 to fix the pavements on some central boulevards in Sofia city centre, such as Patriarch Evtimii, someone from the municipality did not bother to think about issuing an order banning vehicles from parking on the pavements.

The outcome – new pavements less than a year old have crumbled and are already covered in holes from the weight of the cars parked on top of them.

For as long as this is allowed to continue, authorities will keep on repairing infrastructure only for it to be destroyed a year later. The funds for the repair of roads and pavements can be easily collected. There are thousands of traffic and parking violations committed on our streets everyday, but somehow the authorities have failed to exploit this golden goose.

The streets can be fixed, and the money can be raised, only if someone is willing to put a little thought into it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 pm

This sounds all good in thory lets see if they can make use of the GOLDEN GOOSE
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I doubt it very much it's to easy
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm

You know, sometimes I have to laugh at this stuff. Especially after the 'demonstration' earlier this week.

I've been trying to get a roofer for six weeks who can do some work and give me an invoice. Nobody is interested in giving an invoice because if they do "
they'll have to pay some tax"
. Hence the very much 'cash culture' here. Take cash = no tax.

Now, lets think for a mo. If everybody, and I mean everybody, raised invoices for their work, paid their taxes and that tax went to the government then maybe, just maybe the roads would get fixed (and a lot of other things too).

However, according to official figures 30% (which unofficially probably means a lot more) of Bulgarian's don't pay any tax whatsoever on their earnings (cash only work), so how the hell is the government supposed to get the revenue to do this stuff (without relying on the EU the whole time).

If everybody paid their taxes correctly (as I've done since the age of 16 and continue to do so), then perhaps they could drive on decent roads and stop moaning about it (good fun to protest against potholes and yet not pay any taxes to maintain the roads?).

Think about this the next time your local workman takes your leva with no invoice, no guarantee and the tax that should be going to the government to improve the place is going on a bottle of rakia instead.

RANT OVER!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

I think you have said quite a lot here Chris that I can relate to, I remember when I had some work done at my house and all the builders that gave me quotes all insisted it was cash including the Brits so it's not just the Bulgarians that are guilty of this it seems that it’s the norm but as you say its no good moaning about the state of the infrastructure if you’re not prepared to put something into it ? I do wonder exactly how many Brits in Bulgaria run a "
company"
and actually pay any tax? And when I say that I mean all of them from REA's to those that sell food etc? it doesn’t matter what forum you go on you will always see people moaning about the state of Bulgaria but there aren't many that are prepared to pay to make it a better place to live
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
FlorryB
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I've read so much on this kind of stuff - people protesting about the roads, health service, quality of service and goods, et al

In reality, I think that the whole of Bulgarian society (business and private individuals) is based so much on mistrust that it will take a whole mentality swing to change things. It's rampant from top to bottom, not paying taxes, paying cash, avoiding the system, etc.

And you are right, it's not just the Bulgarians at all, there are loads of Brits and other foreigners at it too. How many times have you seen Brits come to Bulgaria, keeping some kind of fake address in the UK in order to maintain benefits or be able to go back and call on the NHS when they are not paying taxes in the UK any more. Yet they won't pay their taxes here either. How many of them pay for things to a company or individual via Paypal or cash to avoid tax and/or VAT?

As for the Bulgarians themselves, well they need to start paying taxes. I've lost count of the number who need some kind of health treatment but have never paid in, then moan they can't get free health care. The number who want good roads, street lights, bin collection, decent hospitals, good education and schools.. but none of them will pay taxes on their income.

Hence the official figures that the paycheck in Bulgaria is only 250 lv a month - what a load of rot - and no wonder, the rest is in an envelope.

The whole country, local and many foreigners who have come here, need a mentality change!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm

FlorryB wrote:
I've read so much on this kind of stuff - people protesting about the roads, health service, quality of service and goods, et al

In reality, I think that the whole of Bulgarian society (business and private individuals) is based so much on mistrust that it will take a whole mentality swing to change things. It's rampant from top to bottom, not paying taxes, paying cash, avoiding the system, etc.

And you are right, it's not just the Bulgarians at all, there are loads of Brits and other foreigners at it too. How many times have you seen Brits come to Bulgaria, keeping some kind of fake address in the UK in order to maintain benefits or be able to go back and call on the NHS when they are not paying taxes in the UK any more. Yet they won't pay their taxes here either. How many of them pay for things to a company or individual via Paypal or cash to avoid tax and/or VAT?

As for the Bulgarians themselves, well they need to start paying taxes. I've lost count of the number who need some kind of health treatment but have never paid in, then moan they can't get free health care. The number who want good roads, street lights, bin collection, decent hospitals, good education and schools.. but none of them will pay taxes on their income.

Hence the official figures that the paycheck in Bulgaria is only 250 lv a month - what a load of rot - and no wonder, the rest is in an envelope.

The whole country, local and many foreigners who have come here, need a mentality change!!!!!!!

Well said FlorryB I couldn't have put it better myself I'm sure your right in all you've said here

sarah
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Are there any potholes in Bulgaria
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 10:31 am

[size=75:2no5gh4d]Sofia echo 11 March 2010

Sofians protest against potholes

A protest outside Sofia municipality building at 10am on March 11 2010 was aimed at highlighting the poor condition of Sofia's streets, Dnevnik daily reported.

The protest was called Dupkovden, or "
pothole day"
, and was organised by members of the youth internet media, Dnevnik said.

"
Everyone interested in joining the protest should bring a piece of his car damaged by the potholes, and leave it outside the municipality building,"
organisers said beforehand.

Organisers asked motorists in other Bulgaria cities to join them, telling them to congregate outside their own municipal centres and protest against the state of the country's road network.

Such protests have already occurred in Varna and Veliko Turnovo.

On March 3, Varna Prosecutor's Office launched a comprehensive investigation to inspect the condition of roads and streets, prompted by the dire condition of Varna's network and the widespread discontent this has caused.

The investigation in Varna, the first of its kind, was a part of a widespread operation across Bulgaria ordered by the Supreme Administrative Prosecution Office and covering the last six months of 2008 and the whole of 2009.

The potholes in Varna triggered a wave of public protests several weeks ago, prompting Varna mayor Kiril Yordanov to dismiss Rositsa Kirova from her post at the municipality's investment policy department.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 am

If the pot holes get any bigger they will not be pot holes????????

In my area there is very little road surface left to make pot holes out of.
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 11:27 pm

I think well know that many bulgarians opinion is, why pay taxes when they don't have the facilities, bulgarians don't make a plan for the next day how can they possible see years ahead! no looking at the picture this end, but then on the other hand there is so much mistrust and would they really use the tax to put back into the country??? I am not so sure, even i do pay taxes here not that it does me much good!!! pro's cons' we have lots of potholes and live in one of the most popular areas of Bulgaria yet they don't seem to care about maintaining nothing here long term, everything is quick fix including the potholes. However there must to be some trust other wise we will be going round in circles.....european union funds>?????? in which pockets has that gone?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 pm

[size=75:1aroj126]Sofia echo 7 April 2010

Sofia's 26M leva street rehabilitation is underway

Patching up Sofia's dilapidated road network and repairing the most obtrusive potholes has cost 1.5 million leva to date, Dnevnik daily reported.

A total 20 000 sq m area of streets has so far undergone repair works but whether this "
patching up"
will prove an effective solution remains unclear.

"
We will ensure strict control over the quality of maintenance work;
after that, we will see the sum we have to pay,"
said Sofia mayor Yordanka Fandukova.

Reportedly, construction firms currently engaged in the overhaul have so far filed receipts worth 1.5 million leva.

Sofia municipality has allocated a total of 26 million leva for the rehabilitation of the streets in Sofia, many of which resemble the iconic images from the Apollo 11 lunar landing back in 1969.

Two million leva will be allocated to the reconstruction of pavements and shafts, Dnevnik said.

"
This week the thorough rehabilitation of Tsar Simeon Street is scheduled to commence,"
Fandukova said. Repair works are to follow on the bridges along Dragan Tsankov Boulevard and Hristofor Kolumb (Christopher Columbus) Boulevard.

"
Once the job is completed on Kolumb Boulevard, we will start on the bridge,"
she added.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 pm

[size=75:3rioc9lb]Dnevnik 12 April 2010

Twice more firms to patch up Sofia’s potholes

Sofia will select six companies over the next four years to execute current repairs of the capital’s roads, according to the municipality’s public procurement announcement yesterday.

The current contracts -- awarded to Glavbolgarstroy, Patishta I Syorazhenia and Road Construction Equipment -- expire in June. Each contractor has pocketed an average of BGN 30 million for the past three years for current and emergency repairs, according to municipal figures.

In the new procedure, Sofia is divided into six zones encompassing three to five regions each. Candidates will be entitled to bid for just one lot in a bid to allow for stronger competition.

No financial details were announced. The price tag hinges on the municipality’s budget allocation for current toad repairs, which stands at BGN 26 million for 2010.

Technical indicators make 42% of the selection criteria, with the balance of 58% depending on price.

The three companies have estimated filling in a pothole gulps down around BGN 80 per square metre.

Firms eligible for the competition are required to have their own or leased asphalt base and a dispatch centre for emergency situations. Offers can be submitted by May 17. The winners should be named by the end of June.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 am

We all know about the pot holes. :

But when are they going to be filled driving at night here is a nightmare at any time, but at the moment is pure suicide [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm

[size=55:z4tnx7y1]novinite

Deadly Crash in Bulgaria Blamed on Speeding, Asleep Driver, Slashed Tyre

The bus crash on the Trakia highway early Wednesday was either caused by speeding or was an asleep-at-the-wheel accident, according to Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov.

Speaking before Wednesday's regular session of the Bulgarian Council of Ministers, Tsvetanov explained that the police was working on both versions.

Transport Minister Ivaylo Moskovski, however, was adamant that the bus had been travelling within the permissible speed range.

The inspection of the burnt bus revealed a broken beam and a slashed back right tyre.

The bus had passed annual technical check-up in March 2011, during which no irregularities were found, Moskovski said, stressing that the vehicle was made back in 1989.

According to the records on the tachograph disc, the bus was travelling at the permissible 100 km/h.

Legal amendments forbidding the use of such outdated vehicles would have to be adopted, Moskovski stated.

The bus was made in 1989 and had last passed technical inspection on March 08, 2011 at a point of Avto Pako OOD. The next inspection was scheduled for September 07, 2011, according to the Bulgarian Transport Ministry.

The driver of the bus had passed a psychological test on May 03, 2011.

Pothole Damage Blamed for Bulgaria Hellish Bus Crash

Pothole damage may have caused the June 15 horrific bus crash on the Trakia highway, according to experts.

According to the latest account of the traffic accident, a pothole measuring 40 x 3-4 cm may have ruptured the back tyre of the bus.

An inspection of the accident scene has shown that the bus swerved towards the road railing after it hit the hole, leaving tyre tracks over 40cm long.

"
This is not a highway but a dirt road! At a speed of 100km/h, the bus, loaded with , NA passengers and baggage, must have hit the road crack very hard"
, says Nedelcho Todorov, a long-time driving instructor.

"
I deeply doubt it that the road section of the Trakia highway where the bus crash occurred had a cracking because I was given assurances by the maintenance companies that the first-class highways and roads have no potholes"
, Regional Development Minister Rosen Plevneliev told journalists.

In his words, if there had been such a road imperfection, the experts should have reported it and included it among the possible causes of the accident.

Plevneliev said that the pothole hypothesis was part of a sustained smear campaign organized by "
certain opposition parties"
based on the Trakia highway.

The Minister reminded of previous allegations that the highway was built off substandard foundations and urged a non-politicized treatment of both the accident and the pothole issue.

The expert analyses assigned by the Prosecutor's Office of the technical condition of the killer bus will be ready no earlier than 20 days.

Apart from that, the results of numerous court-ordered medical examinations of the victims will also be handed in.

"
The investigation is ongoing, the expert analyses are yet to be concluded, which means that it is too early to come up with any whatsoever versions about the accident"
, said Todor Chonov, head of the police department in Plovdiv.

The narcotics probe of the 43-year old driver Svetoslav Dimitrov is due on Friday.

Dimitrov has been detained for 72 hours, facing charges of multiple manslaughter.

The hypothesis that he fell asleep behind the wheel is about to be discarded because both witness accounts and road tracks indicate that the driver tried to take control of the bus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes   Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Varna - and Bulgaria - have had their fill of potholes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next