French Drains

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

French Drains - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 am

First topic message reminder :

After the snow and rain our basement area which houses the central heating boiler got flooded. Not the first time and maybe not the last.

We have had several suggestions on what to do from installing a pump which has been done. Although only a lash up. Also bought a 2 stroke as well.

Also been advised to re - concret the area with a membrane but this sounds like a lot of work as the boiler would need to be re-sited and lifted, it weighs a ton.

The last one given was a French Drain which I understand is a soak away. But am I right?

Can Mikehev advise maybe. Whats involved and what are the possible costs.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
chrisarvor

PostSubject: Re: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 2:40 pm

A French drain is
a trench dug at an downward angle to divert the water form the place where the water is coming into the house
inside the the trench plastic drain pipe is laid but the plastic pipe has hole in the top part of it to all water to enter the pipe and drain away
Basically thats it .
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Re: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm thinking about something like this but I think I need to speak to Mike first as I want the water taken away from the property and not just allowed to go into the ground?
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Found this if anyone is interested in DIY.

Drainage Trenches

Another solution to drainage issues is to build a French drain around your property. This is an in-ground trench that captures groundwater. This form of hidden piping can trap water before it enters your house. You can use the French drain to collect ground water and divert it to a low spot on the land, away from your house.

Building a French drain is relatively simple: dig a trench 15 - 30 cm wide and 15 - 30 cm deep around your house. Line the trench with 10 cm of washed gravel in the bottom of the trench. Then install a 10 cm perforated drain pipe on the bed of gravel. Cover the trench with another 10 cm layer of washed gravel. Place a 10 cm layer of straw on top of this layer of gravel. The straw protects the lower gravel and the drain pipe from being choked with silt or sediment from the soil. Finish the trench by filling it with washed gravel to within 2.5 cm of the top and then cover with soil.

French trenches need not be confined to the area around your house. They can be used to drain water from your garden.
Back to top Go down
fido
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 2:47 pm

I would have thought the straw would rot down and form the sort of sediment you are trying to avoid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French Drains   French Drains - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

French Drains

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Property Renovations & tips-